Recently, Nick and I booked a two-week trip to Japan. This trip is to celebrate my completion of graduate school and to just get the heck out and see the world! We have been asked by almost everyone we have told, “Why Japan?” and our answer is, “Why not?!” There are so many places all over the world we want to visit, so we had to just start by picking one and this year, Japan won! We are so incredibly excited!
The night we booked the flights, we wanted to celebrate with a healthy Japanese-inspired food. We made baked vegetable tempura and it was absolutely delicious!
To make, you will need:
- A bunch of asparagus
- 1-2 sweet potatoes
- 1 Zucchini
- 2 eggs
- Panko bread crumps
The amount of each vegetable depends on how many you are preparing for.
- Preheat oven to 450* F.
- Toss the chopped vegetables in whole wheat flour to lightly coat
- Dip each piece in a bowl containing the eggs, scrambled
- Next time the vegetable pieces into a bowl of Panko bread crumbs
- Line the veggies up in a single layer on a baking sheet and bake for about 10 minutes or until browned
We served ours with a ginger soy glazed salmon.
To glaze the salmon, you’ll need:
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 salmon steaks
- Simmer the soy sauce and grated ginger in a small saucepan. Once it starts to simmer, remove the pan from the heat and stir in the honey and mustard.
- Cook the salmon skin side up on a lightly oiled pan for about 5 minutes
- Flip over and spoon some of the glaze over the top
- Transfer the salmon to a baking sheet that is lightly oiled or lined with aluminum foil for easy clean up.
- Stick the salmon in the oven at 350* F until done, about 5-10 minutes.
Nick made a dipping sauce for the tempura with Dijon Mustard, honey, Chinese hot mustard and a little champagne vinegar, but of course he didn’t measure anything out! Play around with dipping sauces, those are fun to create with whatever you have in your pantry or fridge. 🙂
If anyone has traveled to Japan and has suggestions of things we must do, please share!